quarta-feira, dezembro 03, 2003

Villeneuve's first comments since leaving BAR

The Canadian explains his side of the story

Jacques Villeneuve left Formula One in a frustrating way when BAR decided not to renew his contract for 2004. The Canadian learned the news shortly before the final round of the 2003 season in Japan and chose not the drive in that race, leaving Formula One in a abrupt way.

Villeneuve did not make any comments about the situation since then but today Jacques broke the silence and gave his side of the story.

"Last year, someone in the paddock was trying to destroy everything I achieved, putting about that I was a pain to work with," mentioned Villeneuve. "Everyone believed it. Even Bernie Ecclestone believed it because he was telling me I had to change my attitude. There was nothing I could do about it. It was out of my hands."




As we can expect, Villeneuve is upset by the way negotiations with BAR unfolded. "I got a rubbish offer from BAR," said Jacques. "It was insulting because there was no money involved. We went back with a counter offer but heard nothing."

Moreover, the Canadian now believes that the team knew from the start that Sato was going to replace him in 2004. "Everyone knew that Takuma would be in the car next year and if they had told me in May that I wouldn't be driving for them I would have respected it - but they didn't," explained Villeneuve. "I didn't race in Japan because why should I risk my life for someone like that?"

The former BAR driver also explained his rather agressive behaviour towards Jenson Button at the beginning of the year. "I was suspicious before last season because Jenson was being hyped beyond what he had achieved as a driver," mentioned Villeneuve. "He was being hailed as a future world champion as soon as he joined the team. I thought they should have had a little bit of respect for me, because I had worked my backside off for them for four years."

"I didn't see him stressed too much, but it was not very hard for him because he was getting results for the team while my car was breaking down all the time," added the Canadian. "Jenson did a great job for BAR last year, and I have got a lot more respect for him."

As far as his future is concerned, Villeneuve is not very optimistic about a possible return in Formula One. "Unless I can get a top car I am not sure I would consider it," said the 1997 World Champion. "If there are no opportunities for 2004 then why should there be any in 2005?"

The fact that Juan Pablo Montoya is leaving Williams at the end of 2004 will open up a spot in a top team but Jacques doesn't seem to believe that it could lead to his return in F1. "I don't think Williams will want me back," concluded a disillusioned Villeneuve.